The domestication of this generation of NASCAR drivers is moving full speed ahead. The NASCAR family has grown since last season. Here's a quick recap of happenings on the domestic front.
Johnny Sauter and wife Cortney welcomed their first son, Penn Joseph (PIC), on January 13th. Johnny is the driver of the #13 Thor Sport Racing truck in the Camping World series. With any luck, their number will bring them success in the rain-delayed running of the NextEra Energy Resources 250 tonight, Penn's one month birthday.
#7, It's A 'G' Thing, Baby
Athena Barber gave birth to Garrett Robert Gordon (PIC) on January 28th. This lil' one looks just like his namesake -- and he's built for speed with racing in both mom's and dad's genes and a solid racing name: Garrett Gordon. Reserve the #7. For G, of course.
HOT BUNS IN THE OVEN
Several drivers and a fan favorite crew member are expecting:
- Carl Edwards and Kate - Annie arrived February 24!
- Elliott Sadler and Amanda - Wyatt arrived February 15!
- Jimmie Johnson and Chandra - due in July
- Juan Pablo Montoya and Connie - due in July
- Jeff Gordon and Ingrid - due in August
- TJ Majors and Tamela
Carl and Kate are hoping the baby hangs in there 'til he gets home from Daytona. "She's got her legs crossed, and I've got my fingers crossed." [SBnation.com] Four-time champion Jimmie Johnson says he'll miss a race if necessary to be present for the birth. [NYTimes.com]
HITCHIN' A POST
Two more drivers to settle into married life:
- Casey Mears and Trisha Grablander got married
- Kyle Busch and Samantha Sarcinella got engaged
- Kelley Earnhardt got engaged to Travis Powell, who sang the national anthem at tonight's race
Even with all this action on the homefront, the fans still want more. Here are some headlines many fans would love to see:
- Ryan Newman's wife Krissie is pregnant
- Kevin and Delana Harvick are expecting
- Greg Biffle's wife Nicole is expecting
- Kurt and Eva Busch expecting
- Martin Truex Jr. and Sherry engaged
No such luck on that wishlist yet. But every couple's path to marriage and parenthood is unique and personal, so this isn't an area fans should encroach on.
Also, no major changes in availability status of four of NASCAR's most sought-after drivers: Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Kasey Kahne and Denny Hamlin.